Kinds of hosting services
A hosting service concerns keeping and/or sharing given web content on a web hosting server run by a website hosting supplier. There are different classes of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's take a glimpse at these. In that way, you can determine what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to build a web site, email mailbox accounts, or to share files with mates and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service distributed by particular web hosts, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only function is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage accounts are often supported by displaying ads by the download links, while a timer forces you to await a particular spell of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally wrong interpretation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would share the tasks at hand between autonomous groups of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different webspace hosting services (email, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, web page hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a type of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; certain corporations provide a hosting service for pictures exclusively. This hosting kind is suitable if you desire to share a big quantity of pics with comrades or colleagues since the solution is generally free. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each and every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to managing your emails. Some companies offer hosting solutions for web pages, but do not provide an email solution. If you would like to own an email address with your domain name but do not want to possess a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can open mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video generates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video clips and several hundred site visitors, you may have a hard time with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video will enable you to own as many video files as you wish without hassling about system reserves.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to possess a website. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the abovementioned hosting forms since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and e-mails, upload video files, etc. At Ebook General Store, for example, you can see web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that permit you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limits based on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting account may be better or worse compared to the usual email/file/video/image hosting plans that are tailored for specific web content exclusively.